Dual Education Major in Elementary Education K-6 and Teacher of Students with Disabilities
New Jersey needs teachers who are ready to work in the 21st century classroom. Georgian Court University understands this—that’s why we’ve been preparing our education graduates for today’s diverse and inclusive school environments for more than 15 years. We are proud of our legacy of excellent professional educators, who now serve in classrooms and as administrators throughout the state. You can prepare to become a teacher with us at Georgian Court University at Hazlet. We offer a dual major program in English, psychology, or interdisciplinary studies that provides comprehensive K-6 certification preparation along with the skills and knowledge you need to gain a New Jersey Teacher of Students with Disabilities endorsement. This program features evening courses, so you can continue to meet your work responsibilities until it is time to begin your on-site training. Depending on your previous background, the program can take as little as three years to complete.
Dual Major Options
New Jersey teachers need to hold a degree in a subject area as well as in education. At our Hazlet site, you have the option to pursue three dual degrees that meet this requirement:
- Bachelor of Arts in English with Dual Elementary Teacher Certification and Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement
- Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies with Dual Elementary Teacher Certification and Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with Dual Elementary Teacher Certification and Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement
Please choose a degree to learn more about each field of study.
Required Courses for the Dual Elementary Teacher Certification and Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement
Georgian Court University’s teacher training curriculum integrates special education training into each class. When you complete your program, you will be eligible for both elementary certification and a special education endorsement. You will also pursue experiential learning, which includes clinical experience (observing a master teacher) and clinical practice (full-time student teaching). Throughout your program, you will have the support of a GCU advisor as well as your school site supervisor.
- Accommodations, Modifications, and Assistive Technology for Students with Disabilities
- Collaborative Planning with Family, School and Community Partners for Elementary and Special Educators
- Educational Assessment
- Elementary Education Clinical Practice
- Evidence-Based Practices for Instructing Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Instruction in ELA and Literacy I in Inclusive Elementary Education and Special Education
- Instruction in Literacy II and Social Studies in Inclusive Elementary and Special Education
- Instructional Design and Technology Integration in Inclusive Elementary Education
- Numeracy in Inclusive Elementary and Special Education
- Reflective Practice in Elementary and Special Education
- Science and Technology in Inclusive Elementary and Special Education
Completing the Certification Process
To become eligible for certification, you must:
- Complete a 30-credit dual major in English, interdisciplinary studies, or psychology;
- Complete the 39-credit Elementary Education component;
- Obtain a passing score on the Praxis II examination in Elementary Education (Multiple Subjects)
- Earn a passing score on the GCU Physiology and Hygiene test;
- Provide evidence of satisfactory completion of a GCU-approved training program on Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB);
- Earn a satisfactory rating in student teaching including recommendation for certification;
- Earn a satisfactory rating on your professional portfolio demonstrating how you meet New Jersey Professional Teaching Standards.
You must also maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 to remain in the program. Georgian Court University faculty and staff will help you assemble your materials and submit your application to the state. Please note that program requirements, including courses and course schedules, are subject to change.
DEGREE UP! with Georgian Court University
Prepare to become a teacher with Georgian Court University at Hazlet: contact our Office of Admissions today!